Friday, September 11, 2015

Music as a "Pick Me Up"


Though I grew up listening to music regularly, I never paid attention to how much it affected me.  I sit at my desk every morning and turn on my Spotify and choose a playlist based on the type of mood I’m in.  I have my girly playlist, with all of the requisite female artists that I love from Fiona Apple to Sara Bareilles.  These songs are more mellow and relaxed for a day in the office.  I also have my Jams playlist.  These are the songs that give me a little boost and give me enough confidence so I totally believe I could rap with Dre and Snoop.  FYI, no, I totally couldn’t, but I still LOVE trying.  These are the big two, but if I’m honest, there is a secret third playlist that is the one that I have to play on the DL at a very low volume.  Not because of parental advisory or because I’m trying to concentrate, simply because I don’t want my co-workers to overhear and think that I am completely mental.  As my sister has said, we have this strange love for all things Christmas, and so on those very stressful days, when I need a serious pick-me-up, I turn to Bing and Johnny and Nat and Frank.  Yep, classic, merry Christmas tunes are what get me through those days!  Whichever list I go with, there is always a song providing backup and laying the groundwork for my day.  And, as we planned for this blog, of course the music was flowing and I thought what a great idea it would be to make that a part of it.

Girly
Jams
To this day, I can hear a song and be transported back to my past listening to it and remember the tiniest details.  I remember lying on the living room carpet in our favorite childhood home, next to my sister, Annie and being the “drums” along with The Who.  Our backs and bottoms were all parts of the kit that my dad used to tap out Baba O’Riley (For those of you who don’t know The Who – 1.  I’m so sorry 2. The correct title for this song if you are a child left to come up with your own “lyrics,” is Teeny Tweesling.  If you are somewhat intelligent, you will certainly recognize the lyrics “Teenage Wasteland.”)  I can also hear Bing Crosby crooning “White Christmas” and be nine years old, sitting next to the Christmas tree with big colored lights in that same house.  My parents always kept the albums spinning (yes, albums, on a record player).  And we sang and danced along with enthusiasm and appreciation for many different types of music.


My sisters and I each have quite an eclectic collection of favorite music and artists now, but there is one song that stands out for my family like no other; one that we have even developed choreography to over time (insert sheepish grin).  In 1992, on Rusted Root’s first album, Cruel Sun, came the delightfully upbeat and goofy song “Send Me On My Way.”  Said to be written during a sunny day with a “very happy feeling,” this song truly lightens any mood!  With guitar and whistles and hilariously indistinguishable lyrics at times, it brings you to your feet and puts a smile on your face.  Hence the spontaneous dance breaks at most of our family celebrations.




Beyond being a great mood lifter and athletic dance party inducer, the words do start to hold a little meaning.  This blog was meant to be light-hearted and helpful, so what better words than those of such a song:



Well, pick me up with golden hand

Oombayseeyou, I may tell you to run

(On my way)

(On my way)

Oombseemoobadeeyah

I would like to hold my little hand…


We are hoping to take hold of your “little hands” with our Golden ones and help lift your moods (most likely at times with made up words) and enhance your celebrations.  Let us bring you into our silly, happy world a little bit every day.  We will strive to keep smiles on your faces and those of your children and guests at all of your events!  And, if you’re lucky, we may even choreograph some moves for you too!

2 comments:

  1. You are so right about this song! It's definitely a "pick me up" song. It just invites you to dance around, no matter where you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is soooooo great:). I'm really loving seeing all you two do.....just awesome!!!! Xo

    ReplyDelete