Monday, September 14, 2015

Fall Decorating and Fabric Garland Tutorial

I can not believe we're already starting the third week of September. Over Labor Day weekend my husband mentioned how surprised he was that we hadn't starting decorating for Fall. I have no idea why I hadn't been all over it yet! I haven't even tried Starbucks revamped Pumpkin Spice Latte either.
Who am I?!?

After dropping the older two off at school the next day, I pulled everything out from storage and got to work. I like to keep our Fall decor fairly simple and natural.



I wanted to add something more to the mantel this year but I still planned to keep it understated. I decided to make a garland from my fabric stash and jute twine I had on hand. It came together pretty quickly and adds some great Fall color to the room. Keep reading for a simple tutorial if you want to throw one of these together for your house too!


My parents in law were sweet enough to pick up books of fabric samples for me from their favorite local home decor fabric shop. Did I luck out in the in-law department or what? You can ask your local fabric store if they have any samples to spare or just purchase any fall colored fabric you like for this project. You can also pick up twine for less than $4 per 30 yards at your local craft store.



Ok, here's the tutorial for Fall Fabric Garland!
 
(PS- this is a no-sew. So, so easy. You could put this together while drinking your morning coffee. With your eyes closed. Ok, maybe keep one open. Just so you don't spill your coffee.)
 
Fall Fabric Garland Tutorial
Materials:
-Fall-colored fabric, any texture
-Fabric scissors
-Jute twine

Gather your materials and begin by cutting a piece of twine to your preferred length. I made ours 7 feet long since I would be hanging it on our mantel. Next, start cutting your strips of fabric. I made mine about ten inches long and one inch wide, but you can make yours any length and width you prefer. Depending on your fabric, you may be able to start a strip with your scissors and then just tear the rest of the way. This creates a frayed, natural look to the edges. The number of strips you'll need will depend on the length of your garland and how full you would like it to be. I cut about 90 fabric strips for 7 feet of garland. Once you have your strips cut, begin tying them onto the twine. You can tie them in a pattern based on color (if you're compulsive like I am) or randomly. It will look great either way. That's it! Now you can hang your easy, pretty Fall Fabric Garland anywhere!


I originally hung our garland under the mantel, gathering it in the center to let each side swag. My husband said it looked too "birthday-ish" and moved it to the top. I think it looks cute either way but I really liked the way the swag brought some Fall color down the mantel a bit more. What do you think? Leave us a comment to help us settle this!

Under the mantel:
Or on top:

As for the rest of the mantel decor, I found the "Happy Fall Y'all" printable bunting here, strung it on the jute twine and hung it across our mirror. I placed some pine cones from our back yard into a glass vase and tied a piece of chevron burlap around the top.


I framed this cute little Fall quote, added a few faux pumpkins and a couple strands of leaf garland and that's it for the mantel!

I added a few other little Fall touches around the house, keeping with the theme of natural elements and colors. Leaf garland, faux pumpkins and red Anjou pears (every one of which has at least three bite marks), pine cones and acorns are tucked in with our everyday decor.



Despite the fact that the temperature outside is still in the 80's, I have to say it's feeling pretty Fall-y around here! I have our Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin and Leaves candles burning regularly.  I'm ready to break out the boots and plaid blanket scarf for the season and head to Starbucks to try out the new Fall flavors.



Happy Fall, Y'all!

4 comments:

  1. I'm not much help, because I like them both. I just love all of your fall decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both looks....switch it up every week!! Lol. The swagger look brings out the woodwork nicely though....
    I love how simple but classy it looks. I can almost "smell " it :). Fall is my fave y'all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Fall is my favorite too! Miss and love you!

      Delete