Monday, October 12, 2015

Twins First Birthday

"A best friend is like a four leaf clover: hard to find and lucky to have." 

Photo by Nicole Serafin Photography
So true. I was lucky enough to find my best friend in our sixth grade social studies class. I was a shy 10 year old with glasses, a plaid jumper and cardigan and she was the coolest girl ever, with a sassy attitude and a foul mouth. As she will tell you, she corrupted me. As I see it, she may have introduced me to a bad word or two but Laura has given me the friendship of a lifetime. Twenty four years later, not even 900 miles can come between us.
This summer, Laura asked if I would make outfits for her twins' first birthday in September. I was over the moon. I felt so honored and excited to be a part of such a big milestone in their lives!  

We started looking at fabric first. She knew she wanted to incorporate purple and either blue or green. We found this Lila Tueller for Riley Blake collection, called Extravaganza at Hawthorne Threads. She went with the Ceramic in Purple and Geometric in Teal, which was the perfect color combination for her little sweethearts! She ordered the fabric and it arrived at my house within days. Hawthorne Threads is amazing! I was so excited just to open the fabric and pet it- sound weird? Probably not if you've worked with Riley Blake fabrics. LOVE.

I like to wash my fabric first, not only so it's clean and a bit softer but also in case of any shrinking. Once I had the fabric prepped, I was ready to get to work on these special little outfits. I pulled up The Cottage Mama's Twin Boy and Girl Onesie tutorial for the ruffled bib and tie appliques on the onesies.




The tutorial includes a sweet little ruffled bottom for the onesie, but I decided to make a separate elastic-waisted skirt for Emily instead. I made a layered, three-tiered little ruffle skirt alternating the fabric to coordinate with Nathan's tie onesie.



















I had so much fun putting these little outfits together, but I couldn't stop there. I wanted them to have cute little coordinating party hats too! After making the hats I still had some fabric left over so I made two cake buntings, one for each of their smash cakes. Finally, I put some tassel garlands together. I made one for each of their high chairs and one longer one to hang anywhere!


I wish I could have been there in person on their special day, but Laura made me feel like I was part of it by letting me put this together for them. My birthday wish for Nathan and Emily is that they will each find a friendship like their mom and I have. It is truly a gift.

Keep an eye out for a little follow up post with pictures of these cuties from their photo shoot in their birthday outfits!
 *If you would like to order custom birthday outfits and/or decor, please feel free to contact us!


4 comments:

  1. OMG I'm crying!! I'm so lucky to have the BEST best friend EVER!! thank you thank you thank you for making these babes the stars of their show!! The outfits are gorgeous and professional quality!! They have been washed and worn several times and they still look brand new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for letting me be a part of it! Give everyone big hugs for me. Miss and love you all! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Yep, this made me verklempt. Such a special bond you two have! Those babies are darling and those outfits unbelievable! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete